Wednesday 23 March 2011

Classic Song 9 - Billie Holiday "Strange Fruit"

Let's talk about classic music.

When I was a kid, jazz music was as foreign to me as the planet Jupiter.

Our family listened to a lot of great music, but I don't recall much jazz
on the turntable, with the notable exception of Dave Brubeck's "Take Five".
My adolescent ears were attuned to the seemingly endless parade of great 
60s singles and LPs that were stacked on their sides in the living room, and
I took great pride in reading every headline, byline and footnote about my
favourite pop and rock bands.

Imagine my astonishment a few years ago, when I first heard a clean
audio copy of "Strange Fruit" by Billie Holiday. To say I was staggered
would be an understatement. 

Check out this 'live' version of the song, following a look at my snowman.

Mozz the Elder

www.vapormusic.com







No comments:

Post a Comment