Wednesday 23 March 2011

Classic Song 8 - Focus "La Cathedrale de Strasbourg"

Let's talk about classic music.

During my teens, I was awash in all things 'prog', as in progressive rock,
as in Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, PFM etc., and I welcomed any 
great new band or artist into my brain, via my parents' console stereo.

I first heard Focus on the radio, when "Hocus Pocus" became a breakout hit.

Now, just think about that for a moment or two. Progressive rock music... playing
prominently on Top 40 radio! From Yes' "Roundabout" to ELP's "Lucky Man"
I happily veered, in my search for true prog Top 40 greatness.

When my brother Rod bought Focus' first album, I commandeered it from him
and listened to it until I knew every audio nook and cranny of the record. Over
time (and during school lunch or study breaks) I dove into every record they
released, including Hamburger Concerto in '74.

"La Cathedrale de Strasbourg", for me, is a more focussed Focus, 
and marked their return to shorter, more concise songs, at a time 
when Yes was riding their four-sided Toby's Graphic Go-kart 
to the top of the charts.

As much as I was still a complete Yes freak, something about Focus'
approach to music drew my teenage attention away from Yes, and
toward the awesome Akkerman and van Leer.

Have a look at a wonderful, ancient castle in Ireland,'
then check out "La Cathedrale de Strasbourg".

Mozz the Elder 

www.vapormusic.com



No comments:

Post a Comment