Friday 25 March 2011

Classic Song 15 - The Association "Requiem For The Masses"

Let's talk about classic music.

I've always had a thing about great group vocals. In my opinion,
some of the very greatest were recorded by The Association. 
Though today they are still most known - by association - 
with their biggest hit records: Windy, Never My Love ,
Along Comes Mary and Six Man Band, my favourite 
tracks of theirs are their many, less commercial 
album cuts, where they showed little 
punters like me how to SING. 

"Requiem For The Masses", the last song on their Insight Out album, 
had a profound influence on me. First off, I didn't have a clue what
a requiem was, nor did I yet have any idea how bands recorded in
the studio. Furthermore, I was just starting the write baby songs
in my head, and following my first exposure to groups like the 
Association and The Mamas and The Papas, my songs morphed 
from little puppy love tunes into more topical and complicated 
epics - albeit epics written by a mountain kid from BC.

Have a listen to their vocal arrangement and execution,
which differentiated them from most other 60s bands.
In particular, the vocal build (2:12 - 2:30 on the video) 
blew my 12 year old, Castlegarian pre-teenaged mind!

But first, have a close look at my trusty Larrivee.

Mozz the Elder

www.vapormusic.com




No comments:

Post a Comment